Our research impact
Our own research found that:
- Children who are mainly breastfed for the first six months (or longer) score significantly higher academically at 10 years of age, especially boys.
- Those breastfed for longer than six months had a lower risk of mental health problems as they entered their teen years.
- Stopping breastfeeding and introducing formula before six months of age is linked to an increased risk of being overweight or obese in adulthood.
Our researchers continue to find ways to make it easier for women to continue breastfeeding, including using e-technologies such as:
- Using the internet to support breastfeeding women in rural WA.
- Developing Feed Safe, an app that safely supports breastfeeding mothers who choose to drink alcohol during lactation.
If you you're looking for breastfeeding information or support, contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association’s Breastfeeding Helpline.
Tel: 1800 686 268
Learn more about the benefits of breastfeeding from World Breastfeeding Week.
Join thousands of active subscribers and hear about the brave kids, dedicated researchers, and world-leading science at Telethon Kids Institute.
We guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.