Discover. Prevent. Cure.
We're searching for answers to some of childhood's diseases, conditions and issues. In addition to our four research themes (Indigenous Health, Brain and Behaviour, Chronic and Severe Diseases, Early Environment), you can also discover more about specific research we're involved in and the technology we use.
Discover what drives us as an organisation. Learn about history and the impact of the Institute along with the amazing ambitious goals we've achieved so far in the field of children's research.
Join us! Get involved with Telethon Kids through providing a donation, volunteering your time, participating in important research, or with a professional commitment to the institute.
Different audiences rely on us for very different things. Whether you're a valued donor, curious professional researcher, inquisitive member of the public, or a corporate supplier looking to offer support - we've collated the resources you need.
The 2nd Edition of Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice (eds Pat Dudgeon, Helen Milroy and Roz Walker).
Published in 2014, Working Together was funded by the Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Telethon Kids Institute/Kulunga Aboriginal Research Development Unit in collaboration with the University of Western Australia.
This 2nd edition is intended for staff and students and all health practitioners working in areas that support Indigenous mental health and wellbeing. It includes several new chapters and provides a high quality, comprehensive examination of issues and strategies influencing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and social and emotional wellbeing. We wish to confirm that all hard copies of the 2nd Edition have now been widely distributed to services, mental health practitioners, educators and other stakeholders around Australia and the book is now only available online.
It examines issues across the life course, with a greater focus on children and young people; the significant impacts of mental health in the justice system; the cultural determinants of social and emotional wellbeing and intellectual and developmental disabilities. It includes holisitic models of care, as well as interdisciplinary and inter-professional approaches and working with carers to deliver an even more robust text and resource.
You can download the full book in PDF format (588 pages)
Individual sections and chapters (PDF downloads) may be downloaded by clicking on each link.
1. Aboriginal Social, Cultural and Historical Contexts
Pat Dudgeon, Michael Wright, Yin Paradies, Darren Garvey and Iain Walker
2. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health: An Overview
Robert Parker and Helen Milroy
3. A History of Indigenous Psychology
Pat Dudgeon, Debra Rickwood, Darren Garvey and Heather Gridley
4. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social and Emotional Wellbeing
Graham Gee, Pat Dudgeon, Clinton Schultz, Amanda Hart and Kerrie Kelly
5. The Evolving Policy Context in Mental Health and Wellbeing
Stephen R. Zubrick, Christopher Holland, Kerrie Kelly, Tom Calma and Roz Walker
6. Social Determinants of Social and Emotional Wellbeing
Stephen R. Zubrick, Carrington CJ Shepherd, Pat Dudgeon, Graham Gee, Yin Paradies, Clair Scrine and Roz Walker
7. Mental Illness in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
Robert Parker and Helen Milroy
8. Harmful Substance Use and Mental Health
Edward Wilkes, Dennis Gray, Wendy Casey, Anna Stearne and Lawrence Dadd
9. Preventing Suicide Among Aboriginal Australians
Sven Silburn, Gary Robinson, Bernard Leckning, Darrell Henry, Adele Cox and Darryl Kickett
10. Mental Disorder and Cognitive Disability in the Criminal Justice System
Ed Heffernan, Kimina Andersen, Elizabeth McEntyre and Stuart Kinner
11. Introduction to National Standards for the Mental Health Workforce
12. Cultural Competence - Transforming Policy, Services, Programs and Practice
Roz Walker, Clinton Schultz and Christopher Sonn
13. Interdisciplinary Care to Enhance Mental Health and Social and Emotional Wellbeing
Clinton Schultz, Roz Walker, Dawn Bessarab, Faye McMillan, Jane MacLeod and Rhonda Marriott
14. Reframing Aboriginal Family Caregiving
15. Communicating and Engaging with Diverse Communities
Pat Dudgeon and Karen Ugle
16. Principles of Practice in Mental Health Assessment with Aboriginal Australians
Yolonda Adams, Neil Drew and Roz Walker
17. Addressing Individual and Community Transgenerational Trauma
Judy Atkinson, Jeff Nelson, Robert Brooks, Caroline Atkinson and Kelleigh Ryan
18. Intellectual Disability in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
Robert Parker, Sivasankaran Balaratnasingam, Meera Roy, James Huntley and Annette Mageean
19. Perinatal and Infant Mental Health and Wellbeing
Rhonda Marriott and Sue Ferguson-Hill
20. Addressing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in Aboriginal Communities
Lorian Hayes, Heather D'Antoine and Maureen Carter
21. Understanding the Lives of Aboriginal Children and Families
22. Working with Behavioural and Emotional Problems in Young People
Roz Walker, Monique Robinson, Jenny Adermann and Marilyn A. Campbell
23. Family Violence: Pathways Forward
Kyllie Cripps and Michael Adams
24. Community Life and Development Programs - Pathways to Healing
Helen Milroy, Pat Dudgeon and Roz Walker
25. Enhancing Wellbeing, Empowerment, Healing and Leadership
Pat Dudgeon, Roz Walker, Clair Scrine, Kathleen Cox, Divina D'Anna,Cheryl Dunkley, Kerrie Kelly and Katherine Hams
26. Strong Spirit Strong Mind Model - Informing Policy and Practice
27. Red Dust Healing: Acknowledging the Past, Changing the Future
Tom Powell, Randal Ross, Darryl Kickett and James F. Donnelly
28. Seven Phases to Integrating Loss and Grief
29. The Marumali Program: Healing for Stolen Generations
Lorraine Peeters, Shaan Hamann and Kerrie Kelly
30. Aboriginal Offender Rehabilitation Programs
Victoria Hovane, Tania Dalton (Jones) and Peter Smith
31. The Djirruwang Program: Cultural Affirmation for Effective Mental Health
Tom Brideson, Jane Havelka, Faye McMillan and Len Kanowski
Maps of Australia Aboriginal Language Groups and Distribution
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Terminology
Programs and Services
The Boatshed Racism Roundtable Declaration
If you would like to order a hard copy of Working Together, please email you organisation name and postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org.